I've been wanting to learn to use watercolors because they are so incredibly unpredictable and create so many interesting effects (which I haven't quite been able to replicate digitally --somewhat, but not completely). I want to stay away from the picture realism style and lean more towards the freeness that encourages the unpredictability of this medium.
Deciding to start with something simple, I chose tree silhouettes. After making a loose sketch I began layering on colors, letting them blend and then lifting out color with a scrunched paper towel.
I'm not ecstatic with the result, but still feel it was a good start.
For this poster I wanted a plastered wall look. I used a photo of some tall buildings, a sunset photo, and I made a vector of the praying person. The idea of morphing the type, brown to blue, with the sky evolved once I placed it at the top. I then used a texture overlay.
I recently won a free printing from UPrinting for 250 business cards (from a blog I've been following: WebDesignerDepot). I wanted something a little different than the norm, so I decided to go with the 2x2 die-cut with the rounded corners. I chose the cardstock uncoated as I wanted some texture.
To give the illusion of more texture I started with a background graphic of recycled paper and then created my design and gave it stamped effect by making a mask with some grunge texture.
I'm really looking forward to getting them in the mail!
Our church nominated me to be the new bulletin creator, so I took it upon myself to give it a complete overhaul! I decided to make the outside in color, but keep the inside black & white to minimize cost.